THE 2018 PICK IS IN!
by Mike Massimino
Spaceman: An Astronaut’s Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe, is the spellbinding true story of the Long Island boy who became one of our best-known living space travelers. Despite daunting challenges and numerous setbacks, Mike never gave up his dream of becoming an astronaut. His book brings the reader into a rare, wonderful world where nerdy science meets thrilling adventure, and pulls back a curtain on just what it really means to have “the right stuff.”
“Every generation of astronauts needs a storyteller — a person with wit, humor, and passion who has lived our collective dreams of space exploration and returned to tell us all about it. Mike Massimino is that person. He’s that astronaut. And this is his story.”—Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Mike Massimino was born in Oceanside and grew up in Franklin Square. In Spaceman, he lovingly recalls his Long Island childhood, school, family, and neighborhood.
- Mike is a true local hero and his inspirational life story will appeal to readers of all ages.
- He is a natural communicator with a large social media presence, widely known from multiple appearances on The Big Bang Theory, ideally suited for sharing his love of science and technology to a general audience.
- Spacemanoffers a wide variety of topics and themes that lend themselves to related programming for children, teens, and adults, including astronomy, STEM education, and innumerable science and adventure tie-ins.
- Spacemanis currently available in paperback, hardcover, ebook, and audio download. It is soon to be a Talking Book from the National Library Service.
- Long Island Reads will honor Mike in person at an award ceremony and author talk at the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts on Sunday, April 15, 2018.
Long Island Reads takes place annually throughout the month of April. Many Nassau and Suffolk County libraries feature Long Island Reads programs and book discussion during National Library Week (April 8-14, 2018).
For more information contact:
Nassau chair: Janet Schneider · email@example.com
Suffolk chair: Beth Gates · firstname.lastname@example.org