Join us and find information about the upcoming review for the Entry Level Librarian and Children’s Entry Level Librarian Exam . The review is open to SCLA and/or CLASC members FREE of charge and it is a $5 fee for non-members. The review will be on October 10th at 6pm at the Sachem Public Library.
The Suffolk County Library Association, serving Suffolk County libraries since 1939, offers an academic scholarship to assist an outstanding library school student in subsidizing the cost of their library school education, and to promote the profession by supporting an excellent student pursuing a Library or Information Science Master’s Degree in Suffolk County.
Excellence in Library Service Award (ELSA)
The ELSA is designed to recognize dedication to public service demonstrated by any staff member of a public, school, special or academic library. We welcome nominations submitted by any employee of a Suffolk County library or any Suffolk County library patron.
Continuing Education Award for Library Support Staff
The SCLA Continuing Education Award for Library Support Staff is a minimum cash award made to a library employee who is pursuing academic or career-related coursework that will enhance and contribute to their library duties, as well as benefit libraries. The award is supported by the Suffolk County Library Association and is activities, individual contributions and commemorative gifts. It is administered by the SCLA Scholarship Committee whose decisions are final. It is an annual award, but if the Committee finds no suitable candidate in a given year, no award will be made.
Soon, registered SCLA members will be allowed to vote for the SCLA Board and the Board members of all Divisions for 2019.
You will be able to cast your vote by logging into the NYLA website with your username and password.
We have asked the SCLA members running for the Boards to give us a brief biography.
SCLA’s Annual Networking Night will take place on Thursday, May 31st from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at Old City Public House in Ronkonkoma. Join us to meet and mingle with library staff from across the county. A registration fee of $6 includes appetizers. A cash bar will be available. Register and pay online here:
See attached for details. Please email alexandra.mercado@
Sachem Public Library
150 Holbrook Road
Holbrook, NY 11741
(631) 588-5024 ext. 227
LI-LIB is a listserv for Long Island Librarians. The list is un-moderated, and any topic that is relevant to life in Lon Island Libraries is open for discussion. If you would like to subscribe, we only ask that you abide by the following two rules:
- Please do not post personal messages. Use the SEND command with the person’s address if want answer someone on the list. Only use the REPLY command if you want to respond to the whole list.
- Be considerate. When you are posting a message, remember that there is a person behind every username. Lively debate is encouraged, rudeness is not.
How to Subscribe to the List
- Send an e-mail message to: email@example.com
- Leave the subject line blank.
- In the body of the message type: subscribe li-lib.
How to Send Messages to LI-LIB
The most confusing things about mailing lists is that there two different addresses. The “mailing list server” address handles the administrative functions for the list. The “list” address (in this case LI-LIB) is the address you use to post messages to the list.
To post a message on the LI-LIB, send an email message to:
Messages will usually be posted immediately, but there are may be unforeseen circumstances where it might take a day or two. If your message is not posted within a couple of days, resend it. You can only send messages if you are subscribed to the list!
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions you can email Kevin McCoy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The LDA Library Award provides recognition to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to libraries on Long Island, be they librarians, trustees, support staff, friends of the library, vendors or publishers. The award is sponsored by SCLA and NCLA and was founded by LDA Publishers in 1978.
We invite all SCLA members to consider nominating an individual for this award. A copy of the application and brochure is attached. Paper copies of the brochure also were sent to SCLA members.
Applications are now being accepted and must be received no later than Monday, March 26, 2018. Please send them to:
Marcia L. Olsen
3772 Marilyn Drive
Seaford, NY 11783
The LDA Library Award will be presented at the Long Island Library Conference on Thursday, May 3, 2018.
Suffolk County Library Association advises its’ membership to vote No on the back of the Ballot to a NYS Constitutional Convention this November 7, 2017.
A constitutional convention could allow for the weakening of:
- NYS Pension Funds
- Collective Bargaining Rules
- Benefits for injured workers and social welfare programs.
Additional reasons SCLA supports a No Vote
- The cost to tax payers.
- It cost about $6.5 million to stage the last constitutional convention in 1967. The estimated price tag for a Constitutional Convention in 2017 ranges from a conservative $30 Million to $100 Million.
- Sitting Legislators and Judges may serve as elected delegates.
- Many delegates will receive double salaries from the state.
- Delegates must engage in political campaigns that can be financed by wealthy special interests.
- Three delegates from each state senatorial district will be elected in November 2018, along with 15 at-large delegates who will be elected statewide. In 1967, of the 186 delegates to the convention, 154 held public office.
- Lawmakers can amend the Constitution without a Constitutional Convention.
- The NYS Constitution has been amended over 200 times.
- Most recently in 2015, an amendment was made to the New York State Constitution to create an independent commission on redistricting, and to allow the Legislature to save money by going paperless for proposed bills.
-SCLA Executive Board
The Brentwood Country Club
100 Pennsylvania Ave, Brentwood, NY 11717
Friday, November 17, 2017 6:00p.m. -10:00p.m.
Join your colleagues for dinner, dancing and mingling! $45 for members and students $55 for non-members and on-site registration
Kindly register no later than Monday, November 6th
Please bring a new unwrapped toy for Toys for Tots.
Register online at: www.nyla.org/scla
Payments will be accepted by credit card, check made payable to NYLA/SCLA or library purchase order. All fees are non-refundable.
For questions or special accommodations contact: Lissetty Thomas at email@example.com or call 631-654-4700 ext.224